<VV> that Ralph Nader documentary

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 20:36:24 EST 2007

Today was the Manhattan premiere of "An Unreasonable Man", that Ralph Nader
documentary and I was there.  I had purchased my tickets on-line weeks ago and
as I stood in line to pick them up at the box office an older man and woman
were in line in front of me.  I heard him tell the ticket vendor that his name
was Grossman and that the director had left comp tickets for them to pick up.
Later, in the film, I saw the same man interviewed.  Turns out he was THE
Grossman of Grossman Publishing which published "Unsafe At Any Speed."  There
really wasn't much in the film about Corvairs.  Maybe we can be thankful for that.
 They covered a lot about auto safety in general.  The only part that
specifically mentioned the Corvair was some cheesy footage using one of those
Franklin Mint models.  It looked like a stop-action piece showing the car going into
a tail-spin and then flipping over.  They had superimposed animated graphics
over the Franklin Mint model purporting to show the action of the swing axle
and to show the rear location of the engine. The film is 2 hours and 2 minutes
long and it's defintely a paean to Ralph Nader.  The New York audience was
highly sympathetic and cheered for Mr. Nader throughout the movie and hissed and
booed the few interviewees who dared take a position against him.  I would say
the average age of the audience was skewered toward those who would have been
young and idealistic in the '60s.  After the movie there was a Q&A session
with the directors and Mr. Nader.  His sister, Claire Nader, who was interviewed
in the film, was in the audience and was introduced to us.  The Q&A session
reminded me of those hand-picked rallies that Bush attended during the 2004
election in that most of the "questions" consisted of audience members taking
turns saying; "I just want to thank you for being you."  I was seated on the aisle
in the third row and after the session ended I rushed the stage with a pen
and my French translation of "Unsafe At Any Speed,"  "Ces Voitues Qui Tuent,"
which, I believe translates back into English as "Those Automobiles that
Slaughter."  Ralph has, on previous occasions, already signed both of my English
copies of "Unsafe At Any Speed."  He raised an eyebrow when he saw it but spoke
not a word.  He signed, "For Auto Safety, Ralph Nader" as he had in my English
language copies.  Gee, I was kinda hoping he'd at least write; "Pour la
securite des automobiles."

~Bill Stanley