<VV> Lower Shroud removal questions

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Jul 1 16:35:44 EDT 2007

Again it is personal preference. Running without lower shrouds and
airdoors you run the risk of overcooling the engine going down long
hills.  If you live in FL or TX, that is probably not a
concern.  Secondly you loose 95% heat and defroster.  Lastly if you
run through standing water you risk cracking something critical.  In
my opinion the decrease in cylinder head temps is from the increases
air flow around the cast iron exhaust manifolds rather than an
overall better air flow across the cylinder head.  It doesn't matter
what the reason, the results show a 50 to 70 degree temperature drop
in cht by completely removing the lower shrouds. I would always leave
the air door shroud in place and just remove the door assembly (take
the pivot pin out of the door) as this shroud is used to seal the
engine and oil cooler.

  Ultra Vaners typically run with out the air doors but with the
lower shrouds in place for engine heat and so the exhaust manifolds
can be reversed (side to side & end to end).  This allows the system
to operate like the 1960 car system but without temperature
regulation.  Moving the exhaust and mufflers away form the valve
covers results in a 20 degree drop in oil temperature as well as a
cooler running engine.

Personally I would never run any Corvair engine in anything but a
track car without the lower shrouds.   The air doors are another
subject and that depends on the particular application.
Jim Davis
.