<VV> Bell Housing Seal

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 00:00:35 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/1/2007 8:40:19 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jb30343 at navix.net writes:

Bob,  Would you mind explaining your reasoning?   Thanks.  --J.B.

Hi JB,

Gosh, i thought that would be obvious.

First, Polyacrylate is the same material that the second generation of Chev
pushrod tube O-rings were made of......that failed just as rapidly as the
Buna-N  ones. Polyacrylate has a much lower temperature acceptance than Viton. So,
since  Viton was a superior material for O-rings, it too is superior for the
bell  housing seal. In my experience, viton wears and seals just as well as
the  others. It just lasts longer before hardening up and failing to seal.

That is coupled with the problem that this seal is so difficult to replace
when it fails. You want to use the best seal possible.

Then there are always the comments from Larry Claypool that the Viton  seal
is all he ever uses......

Then there is my experience of having to replace many a hard-as-rocks bell
housing seal that wouldn't seal.

Regards,
Bob Helt