<VV> oil pressure problems?

Kinzelman, Andy akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com
Mon Jul 2 08:52:59 EDT 2007

Guys,
This regards my daily driver 63 Monza.
A while back I made a rookie mistake - driving a substantial distance with the oil cap off.  Of course, the entire engine compartment was covered with oil.
Saturday I got around to trying to clean it up.  I spritzed degreaser onto the engine and compartment (engine at ambient temperature) & rinsed it down repeatedly with a hose sprayer (not a power washer).  Surprisingly, the car started right up without having to dry anything out.
However, I am now getting an oil pressure indication (light) - that occurs shortly after startup.  The oil level is OK, and if I pull the sender wire the light goes out.
Could I have damaged the sender?
Thanks,
Andy K.