<VV> Muscle Car Engine?

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 13:38:40 EDT 2007

                                        B"H

Hi all...I noticed over the past month or so, that my
110 was sounding a bit louder, sort of throaty noise
coming from the tailpipe, where I think it was quieter
when I first got her last November.

Anyway, after showing the car to my LICA (Long Island
Corvair Assoc./CORSA) friends at our last meet, they
didn't see or hear anything wrong, but suggested
possibly rust inside the muffler could cause a
different sound to the exhaust.

Just to be on the safe side, I replaced the muffler
and crossover pipe (surprisingly easy!!) and now I
noticed that the exhuast sounds even more throaty!

I would bet many enthusiasts would like the burble, it
definitely doesn't sound like there's anything wrong,
it's just a throaty sound that sounds sort of like a
high-performance 350 4-bbl, not a 164 econo-motor.
Actually I prefer the purr to the growwl, and I'm
wondering whether things like carb adjustment, timing,
tuneup, etc. could have something to do with what the
exhaust sounds like.

FYI, I did check the exhuast joints and they seem OK,
I put on new donuts of course when i changed the
system.  The new exhaust is the standard single
exhaust from Clarks.  Also, it may be relavent to note
that my 69 had all its smog gear removed before I got
her.  The Clarks tailpipe is definitely narrower than
the tailpipe that was on the car before.

I should also tell you that the car runs and drives
like a top, has wonderful acceleration, it's so smooth
and quick, it's like a new car.  There is a slight
vibration at idle, but nothing that would indicate a
problem. (No older car idles like the new ones anyway
in my experience!).  I'd just prefer the purr.

Thanks all and have a great Fourth!...Bill Hershkowitz
Brooklyn NY  69 Monza Hardtop 110 PG