<VV> Airbags on rear of FC

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 3 23:58:45 EDT 2007

Thanks Matt.  After all these years on <VV> you'd think I'd know to give as
much info as possible.

"Yes" my Rampy carries a Deluxe Scamper Camper.  And "Yes" I ALREADY have
overload springs on the vehicle.  And "Yes" I am unhappy with the rear sag.

I've already investigated Monroe Ride Helper shocks, best I can tell, they
don't have suitable substitute for the stock units.

Knowing that any air suspension company was going to need as much
information as possible I tried to gather all the specs I could.  Kent
Sullivan and Bob Slusher came thorugh in spades.  Even with just about every
imaginable dimension at my finger tips the tech guy at ridetech basically
came down to "buy something and see if it fits".

I'm looking at the two systems below.  I'm hoping one of these two may work
as a bolt-in.  Although I'm open to suggestions, at this point I'm just
exploring.  The advantage of these systems is that, (if they work) the upper
and lower shock attachments are interchangeable.

This one would replace both the spring and shock.  My concern is
interference with the upper spring perch and possibly the driveshaft because
of the larger o.d. of the airbag.  Other concerns are a total extended
length of 14.5", as opposed to the recommended 13.25 for the stock shock as
per lclc in the Tech Guide.

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave.asp

This set up would be more of a helper, but the concern with this is
interference between the bag as it expanded and the i.d. of the stock
springs, which would remain in place. (The 7000s)

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave79.asp

This uncharted territory for me, having absolutely ZERO experience with
air-bag suspensions of any kind.  If you've got thoughts, please share them.

Regards,
Joel

BTW Seth - 3 point belts are on the menu as well.  Although, the Lovely
Laura likes to kid that she's always prepared to grab the dog as a
substitute airbag in the event of an accident.