<VV> Oil Cooler

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Jul 10 23:03:25 EDT 2007

     Since I have not pulled the oil cooler out before, I was wondering if there is anything special I need to know or if anyone has any tips to make the job easier. I looked through my shop manual and it seems pretty straightforward, but I thought I would as some folks with experience. Thanks!
  Smitty Says;  Dave it ain't no big thing.  Remove the bolt in the cooler flange on the left side.  Remove the sheet metal screws at the top and bottom at the rear of the cooler.  Stick a drain pan under the left rear of the engine.  Unscrew the big 3/8 bolt and bring the cooler back with it.  A good solvent washdown would be appropiate about then. (Plug the oil holes and use gunk and water?????).  Make sure the gaskets stay in place when you slide the cooler back in.
  You won't find a better time to clean the fins of the cooler, so you might want to do that too while it is out.