<VV> shift pattern on early FC

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 12 12:39:56 EDT 2007

Well,

Seth called it "guess a gear", in the mid-West we refer to it as "mystery
shifter".  BUT, if the bushings are good and everything is pretty much
"factory" tight, there really is no mystery to it.  I've driven some with a
lot of slop - that is where the mystery (or guess) comes into play.

Certainly, do not be afraid of that '61 (under the seat) shifter.  It is
(mine's a 4 spd) normal H pattern, and I guess the knob does seem to go
downward a bit when going to first but that is not at all bothersome.  I
have to disagree a bit with Seth's assessment (description).  I feel that he
has overstated to a fair degree.  If the shifter is tight, you will have no
problem with it - just don't expect to be doing any speed shifts with it.
If you have that "stump puller" 1st gear, you could just drive it like a 3
spd by starting out in 2nd.

Later, JR
CCE and CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110 (will grind 2nd if in too big a hurry)
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)