Fwd: <VV> Rear Alignment Question

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 14:16:09 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/2007 1:14:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

> I tightened the stabilizer rods once everything was aligned
>
> I can adjust it enough with the bolt by turning it about half way around ccw,

Grant,  The racers can give you more from their experience, but assuming the
nylon bushings are installed as they should be and you replaced the rear
engine mount not one of the two front/trans mounts then I would check the bushings
in the stabilizer rods--they're just shock bushings--to see if they are worn
out.  Then check the inner end of the stabilizer rods where they mount to the
transmission support (the piece the two front transmission mounts support) to
be sure they are adjusted equally.  This is assuming the rest of the suspension
is in good shape.  I had a convertible that had a severe toe in problem on
one side because the stabilizer rod was too tight on that side.  I have also
seen cars that required much different lower eccentric adjustments side to side,
but usually because of bent or damaged parts.

But your by-the-book approach should help you isolate the problem.  I'd put
it up on secure jack stands and just look at it for awhile to see what part
doesn't look symetrical to you and start there.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Kensington MD
'64 Brier