<VV> Headlight aim

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jul 14 11:29:30 EDT 2007

The best no equipment aiming method uses a level parking space with a
wall about 25  feet away.  I don;t see how you could aim the lights on a
dark road with no objects to reflect the light to see where the "hot"
spots are.

Basically you want all four "hot" spots to be straight ahead of the
lamps being adjusted both horizontally and vertically. All aiming is
done with high beams. Low beams are automatically adjusted by their
design for American roads (drive on right) by focusing the low beam
"hot" spot down and to the right of the high beam "hot" spot.

Put the dimmer in the high beam position, mask off one lamp on each side
so the "hot"spots do not overlap, measure the height from center of lamp
to ground. Mark the wall with a spot of tape at this height. Adjust lamp
so the hot spot is at this height and straigt ahead of the lamp. Uncover
the two masked lamps and mask the other two lamps. Now adjust these two
lamps. Take off masking and try low and high beams. You should see an
intensity change and the hot spots should be obviously lower and to the
right on low beams.

If the hot spot moves left on low, you have some British lamps...

Frank DuVal