<VV> Autocross-long

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 22:05:24 EDT 2007

Michael and I went to the Indy event at the Mount Comfort Airport today for our "last chance" autocross before the Corvair Convention in Detroit.
? Michael was trying set ups, and I was still trying to decide which car to take. Michaels forward weight ballast worked? well ,as did mine ( it was near the center before). Apparently polar moment increase means little until the front has enough normal force to initiate a turn in.
?I was making stupid DNF mistakes and Michael was getting cones. Getting our heads cleared before the convention may have been good for us.
? Paul Fox and his Corvair showed that he was ready. Every Corvair today had a 3100cc ?engine plus. My how the bar has been raised.
?? I must follow my own advice and start practicing in only one car if I expect to improve.
After the Convention in the Orange Vintage car, I intend to drive only the EM Roadster.
? Larry?Metz designed a great course for the area available. Mt?Comfort has limited space but great smooth concrete. Larry made the best use of the space as of yet.?
? I was able to fully utilize all of 2nd gear (3.27 axle 22' tires) ---no first gear. I could?chose the wrong line if I wanted to and the broad 180s had no outside borders. Even the tightest looking spaces had rather quick flow throughs. Very well thought out Larry. Oh, Larry beat his young car owner---great day for Geezers. We had 120 cars, which is about overflow for the facility.
?? My personal greatest pleasure was getting to visit with some of my?old, old time racing friends and their?2nd generation drivers. So we got veterans returning and youngsters entering. The lady winner of the junior karts was brave enough to ride with me. What a great day. Also It was?Indiana and it didn't rain and in the low 80s.
? We even had stunt planes for entertainment. And I got to sit out of the sun next to a lovely young lady on my work assignment--life is great.
?? Warren