<VV> Engine air baffles

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jul 16 12:06:35 EDT 2007

At 05:14 AM 7/16/2007, Frank DuVal wrote:
>Then there was a 63 Monza I was working on. The baffles were missing
>below the cylinders. I figured a previous repair had left them off.
>Then I looked on top of the cylinders....Yep, there they were!
>
>Frank DuVal
>
>Sethracer wrote:
>
>>There are dozens of folks on VV who have finished torquing
>>the  heads (not a fun job) only to note that the baffles are still
>>sitting on the  bench.

Been there done that.   Sux.

>>Stuff happens. But don't let it happen to you! - Seth  Emerson

Maybe this should start a thread on Corvair engines found to have
been assembled wrong... :)

I've found a couple that had pushrods installed pot-luck, mechanic
didn't know about the oil hole.   Squeaker...

Another I found with several of the pushrod tubes backwards.  It
didn't leak... had Permatex all over them.

I found another one with a smallblock Ford rocker arm on it.   It
worked for a while, before the lack of lube ate the end of the valve
stem off and finally dropped the valve into the chamber where the
piston snapped the head off and jammed it back up into the
chamber.   It never did click until it went clunk. (this was in a car
I'd bought a couple months earlier)

I've also found a couple of engines with no cylinder baffles in them at all.

One '68 "smog" engine had two different heads on it, one was the
stock smogger "bathtub chamber" head, the other was a 95hp head that
had the squish area chiseled and hammered so as to make it resemble
the other stock head.

I took one apart that had no cylinder head gaskets in it.   Must have
been a VW mechanic... ;)

Another had what must have been '60 style head gaskets in a 110,
leaky and spitting, gaskets were nowhere near close to fitting the heads.

Another '69 vintage engine had two different types of pistons in it,
4 domed pistons, and two flat tops.

I'm sure I haven't found the last one yet...

tony..