<VV> Cylinder head torqueing

John David Thomson jdavethomson at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 17 11:27:00 EDT 2007

Okay, I got the air baffles installed and new viton installed on the pushrod tubes and I now am looking at retorquing the heads on each side.   I have found 4 different torque sequences in my reading.
1. 1965 manual (other sources say this method is not recommended anymore)
2. Richard Finch approach (torque in 5 ft lb increments as if you were doing three one cylinder engines and going from centre to outside alternating top and bottom)
3. San Diego Vair Tips 1974 tip 9-1-1974 shows a pattern a little bit like Richards, but goes in a circular pattern from middle cylinder to outer cylinders).
4. 1969 manual shows torquing all the lower nuts from inner to outer, then all the top nuts from inner to outer.

So for all you folks who have done this many times, which technique should I use?

Regards, Dave..........