<VV> Turkey Roaster Secret

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 21:06:07 EDT 2007

It has become painfully apparent to me that like some other organizations there's a 'secret handshake' in the Corvair brotherhood. That handshake is the knowledge of exactly the twists, turns and wiggles that it takes to get the turkey roaster completely off.  It is equally apparent that I do not know the Corvair Secret Handshake.

At this point I have everything off the top of the engine and the bolts are removed from the perimeter of the roaster. I can lift it up maybe two inches, but the accelerator rod and maybe the back of the idler pulley are keeping it from coming all the way off.  The choke pulloff rods are sticking up, but don't seem to be  preventing removal and I'm fresh out of subtle wiggles. Is there a secret twist that I'm missing, or is it a matter of brute force.

The point of this exercise is to all me to replace a failing blower bearing. The patient is the 110 engine in my 64 Monza automatic convertible.

Please share your proven tips and tricks.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza conv.