<VV> Radio (won't fit)-now under dash radio mount

David McMillan dmac632000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 12:32:42 EDT 2007

Thanks Lonzo, Frank DeVal and now Tony U. for your info on the radio mounting problem I have.

And now I'm taking Tony's advice and asking real nice...does anyone have a '63-4 under dash radio housing they could part with for pocket change?
Puhleeeeeeeease?

Dave Mc

At 04:18 PM 7/17/2007, David McMillan wrote:
>Hey guys, speaking of stock radios. I can't seem to find one that
>fits my '64 Monza. The PO had put a Realistic AM/FM casette in with
>some other pieces to help make it stay. I want to get a stock radio
>in then hide a more updated one in the glove box as Padgett describes.
>I tried putting in my '63 AM (from my group red Spyder), but the
>right dial knob has a raised ring around it that prevents pushing
>the unit flush against the dash. I also received a donor '64 radio
>that has the same problem. Are they all like this? The holes in the
>dash for the volume and dial knobs are pretty much the same size,
>about 1/4 inch (maybe a bit bigger).
>
>Any clues?
>Dave

And Tony U. answered:

You have an early series radio housing... pre-'62 which mounts a
short chassis tube type radio.  The PO likely chased down such a
housing because it's more user-friendly for aftermarket radios since
both of the control shaft holes are the same size.

I bet if you ask nice, somebody in here would hook you up with a
'63-64 radio housing for pocket change.   It's identified by one
shaft hole being small, the other is very large to accommodate a
shaft mounting cup.   Don't forget to check around for that cup too...  ;)

tony..