<VV> 60 Corvair Scam on e-bay

Ken Maxwell kobramax at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 21 11:03:30 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

Yes, this listing is one of many scams that a ring of scumbags have been
running on e-bay for some time now. I became aware of it when my ad for a 69
convertible was suddenly listed by another e-bayer who had no idea what was
going on. I reported the fraud to e-bay and they removed it, only to have it
reappear minutes later and I had it removed again. This thief really made me
mad so I started checking all e-bay collector car listings several times a
day and reporting all of the hundreds of different fake ads that these
deviates list.

This is how it works: they use real e-bay user ID's whose passwords they get
with fake e-bay log-in screens where you must type in your user name and
password. They listed an "ID gathering" series of ads two days ago. They
listed over 30 ads in collector cars with a scantily clad babe in the
picture. When you went to view the ad it said "click here for more pictures"
the fake e-bay log-in box came up. Any one who filled in their user name and
password had just given up control of their account to the scammers. Now
armed with hundreds of fresh new e-bay accounts these creeps have inundated
e-bay the past 24 hours with literally hundreds and hundreds of these fake
ads. They all list nice pictures real cars that have previously been listed
by e-bayers and they all say to contact a separate e-mail address rather
than use the official e-bay "ask seller a question" link. If you use the
e-bay link, a confused fellow e-bayer won't know what you're talking about
because he didn't place the ad.

 I acted as an interested buyer and the "seller" said he had moved out of
country and couldn't take the car with him. He gives a fake unverifiable
location of the vehicle and then says the car can't be examined for
"privacy" reasons. He gives all sorts of guarantees that if the car is not a
described all funds will be refunded, but you can rest assured that any
money sent to these crooks will never be seen again. E-bay's policy is that
they do not monitor their ads but that they will take actions when frauds
are reported. That is why I have reported well over 1,000 of these fake ads
in the last two weeks. I told e-bay that they should be much more proactive
if they expect there users to have any kind of confidence in their site.

We are lucky that Corvairs generally aren't used much in these fakes simply
because they aren't valuable enough to be worthwhile to the scammers. They
tend to concentrate on high value cars such as Cobras, Camaros, Mustangs and
Hot Rods of various types. I reported the fake '60 Corvair ad in question
yesterday evening and they are very slow in removing it for some reason.
Apparently ads with bids (even one with ridiculous amounts) are harder to
remove.

I have informed e-bay that I will no longer use their service to buy or sell
a car until they have cleaned their site of these frauds. They will have the
realize that they're going to have to hire extra full-time help to monitor
their site and remove these fakes rather than rely on fellow e-bayers to
report these scams.

Sorry for the length of this post but these scumbags really make me mad and
I hope that they get the jail time they deserve!

Ken Maxwell

Louisville, KY

69 Convertible #3721

60 500 # 4961