<VV> Lifter operation

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 12:58:18 EDT 2007

Your explanation makes sense to me, but I have an observation and a question:

  The observation:
  I believe the original post basically said he manually pumped up the lifters before assembly to avoid the possibility that the initial start would not leave some rocker assemblies dry. The initial discussion was about how you could know that the pushrods were delivering oil to the valve chamber.

  The question:
  If inertia during normal engine operation is the only sure way to ensure the metering valve actually seats to force oil into the lower chamber, how do you pump them up before assembly so it works every time?

  Bob said:

  So when you finish engine assembly and use your electric drill to run the oil pump, you want  the metering valve to be pushed up against its upper seat so as to force
 oil  into the lower chamber. However, as you both assert if THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN, then
  oil is now allowed to flow only into the upper chamber and from there to
 the pushrods and rocker box, where you now observe it. The problem here is
 that if  the metering valve is allowing oil to flow to the rocker box, then little
 if any oil is actually being forced past the check walve and into the lower
 chamber,  pumping the lifter up. No oil in the lowed chamber means the lifter is
 not pumped up.

So AGAIN, I suggest that watching for oil dribbling out of the pushrods after installing new lifters and running the oil pump with a drill motor is NOT the best way of assuring yourself that the lifters are pumped up.

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on