<VV> Out of group red again ... YES!

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 23 02:58:43 EDT 2007

	The first thing I checked this morning was the battery and the
ground contacts.  Sure enough, the battery was dead, but the contacts
were where the group suggested they be.  I recharged it during the
day while I rerouted the wire for the CHT to a more protected
position in front. I then drove to Arlington to purchase the
Travertine floor tiles and the tumble stone splashback stones for the
kitchen remodel.  After the recharge, the engine turned over nicely.
I put everything back on and lowered it from group red.  It was
leaking transmission fluid from two bolts with which I had problems
in the reassemble.  I decided to deal with that later.  It was also
over filled with fluid, which I didn't expect as it had been dripping
fluid for the last two weeks and I only put in four quarts.  Anyway,
I used my suction pump to lower it to a proper level.
	I then took it for an extended drive.  It was still not kicking down
or shifting smoothly when going from D to L, but it was running after
two weeks, and that was enough for me for now.  Later in the evening,
I took my wife (for the very first time in the car), my brother-in-
law and my son to visit their brother.  It was about a twenty mile
trip with about 3/4 of it being highway miles.  My wife was very
pleased.  I was glad as she has been behind this project from the
start, even though she hadn't a clue about what we all know, that the
Covair is a great ride.  In fact, before tonight she had never even
ridden in a Corvair.  After all the expense, time and frustration in
getting this car back on the road (five years and close to five
figures - which I know is crazy, but this is my dad's last Corvair
and has been owned by our family for twenty-three years this summer
as of 7-14), I was so happy that she was pleased with the outcome.
	As a stroke of hopefully good luck, while at my brother-in-law's
house, I checked to see if the tranny was still leaking because I
didn't want to mess up his driveway.  It had stopped! When I parked
it in the garage tonight, I put a plastic trash liner under it and
will check it in the morning.  All in all, a very good Corvair day!

  It is so great to be back on the road!

To all of you who responded to my posts, THANK YOU!!!

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, day/
night mirror, rust free, w/ 77K