<VV> 1960 on eBay...check the price!

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jul 25 15:44:53 EDT 2007

At 04:24 AM 7/21/2007, Frank DuVal wrote:
>That's because it is an 8! Not the typical 4 cylinder. :-)  <ggg>
>
>Of course one has to get permission from the seller to bid.
>
>Tony, this is in your neck of the woods. Does it sound familiar?

(sorry, missed this post when it was more timely)

I've *always* backed out quickly when ever ANY seller makes a
statement to NOT use the Ebay user e-mail to contact him/her, instead
use an e-mail address they post in the message body... which is
usually a web-based e-mail "throw-away" account in which they will
tell you where to wire the payment for whatever they're "selling".

This almost always indicates that they hijacked the "indicated"
user's Ebay account via one of those spam e-mails spoofed from "Ebay"
demanding you logon and re-enter your user information or they'll
suspend your account or revoke your privileges.   Ebay never sends
out these "resub" e-mails.   If you enter a user name and password in
the "logon" box, all you do is send your account info to the scammer
whose first action is to change the password on your account so you
can't access it anymore, after which he quickly uses it to post an
auction.    Of course, any complaints or legal actions end up being
directed to YOU and not him.

These scammers generally have always used photos of musclecars (which
obviously do not belong to them) to attempt to pry bidders from their
money.    Hemi Barracudas for 6000 bucks, bigblock Camaro ragtops for
3500 bucks, etc ad nauseam.    And the cars are NEVER available for
inspection no matter how close you appear to be to the actual
"posted" location of the vehicle.

One of the guys on a Mopar list I frequent was rather surprised to
see HIS rather exotic musclecar (Challenger R/T) up for sale on Ebay
for a ridiculously low "buy it now" price... the photos having been
lifted from his Photobucket page.

Check the "seller" history and see what they may have sold
previously.   If their prior auctions involved antique wicker
furniture, tablecloths and dinner ware, and used clothing, it should
go without saying that if they suddenly offer up a half-dozen
collector cars for stupid-cheap prices, something is rotten.   It
ain't *them* selling the car, it's the scammer who hijacked their
Ebay account.

...anybody recognize the '60 coupe in that auction?    Hell, it may
well  belong to a Corsa member.

...frankly (no pun) ;)  I'm surprised that anybody ever actually
falls for these obvious scam attempts, unless the scammer is
attempting to milk the neo-rich lunatic fringe with too much money
and no cocaine habit.

tony..