<VV> spinning rings

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Jul 25 21:34:32 EDT 2007

2 stroke engines that run the rings over various ports carved in the cylinder wall MUST pin their rings to keep the gap away from the ports, because the wild ring end would spring into the port and jam.

Pretty much everybody else does not pin their rings. I take that to mean letting the rings slowly creep around is a good thing.  Although some folks stay awake night worrying about the day their ring gaps will all align, figuring all the hot gasses and oil will take turns whooshing though the aligned gaps.

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/db/images/supertech_s14_pistons.jpg

http://www.billzilla.org/meltedpiston.jpg

--
Dan Timberlake

From: "D. Monasterio" <dmonasterio at megared.net.mx>
Subject: <VV> More on piston rings concern or.. improvement ?

    In fact, I am playing with the idea of preventing piston rings rotation (on next
engine) so, the real concern is: Do non rotating rings could make some
improvement ?... toughts about ?

    Thanks

    Daniel Monasterio

<< Back on the early 60s I had a German motorcycle (Durkopp, 2 cycle engine) and
it had a small pin inserted in each grove of the piston to prevent rings from
rotating. The ends of the rings were trimmed about half of it's wideness to
allow installation with the inserted pin.
   There is enough room on a Corvair piston (1st & 2nd grooves) for the pin and
trimming the ring ends looks easy.>>