<VV> (no subject)

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 16:15:25 EDT 2007

  Mark,
   Just to define a fine point. Backfire is through the carbs. Afterfire is out the tail pipe. If it is out the tail pipe, it is a result of raw fuel or fuel fumes in the exhaust system ignited by a shot of flame from the exhaust valves.

   Flame from the exhaust valves is natural when you let off the gas. Watch the NASCAR vehicles at night when they lift off for a turn.

   A back fire is usually a timing issue.

mark bashara <marklaredo at msn.com> wrote:
  I have a 64 corvair with a 65 110 motor. When I accelerate hard and then
slow down real quick, I sometimes get what sounds like a back fire. The
vehicle runs fine otherwise. I've been through all the normal tune up items,
new points, set timing. Any suggestions what might be up. I have a muffler
from a local shop on it, could it be possible I need to get one from Clark's
that's made for my car? Any input is appreciated. Mark B.