<VV> Gas mileage

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Jul 27 11:30:26 EDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Stephen Upham wrote:

> I've been driving around in the Monza whenever I can find an
> opportunity.  A concern that I'm having now is the gas mileage.
> Apparently, I have the Hummer edition Monza.  My gas mileage for the
> last three fill-ups have been 14.3, 12.4, and 10.85 respectively.
> This is a new rebuild with new carbs and an electric fuel pump, but
> even then, I would expect the numbers to be reversed.  I still have
> the transmission not staying in low past 15-25 off the line, kicking
> as it shifts from D to L when coming to a stop, and no kick down.  I'm
> awaiting time to check the vacuum on the modulator.
> Ideas?

That is pretty low. I don't think I ever got mileage that low, even
when 67AC140 was a 67AC110PG car. Is your timing right? You don't have
it retarded to keep from pinging, do you? Is your vacuum advance
working correctly? Do you think the carbs were rebuilt correctly? What
jets do they have? Something seems wrong here. You should do better
than this with an FC.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina