<VV> Improved PG shifter knob for 68-69

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 16:59:41 EDT 2007

                                           B"H

    I've found the 68-69 Powerglide shift lever
somewhat inconvenient.  As everyone knows, the knob
went from a chrome T-handle, to a flat black knob in
1967 for safety reasons, I assume.  WHen they added
the center dash padding in 68, you have to sort of
wrap your fingers around the padding to grip the knob,
which is a pain, especially since I sometimes shift to
Neutral at a long light (I hate the    feeling of the
tranny fighting the brakes to keep the
car stationary).
    So while I was in AutoZone this afternoon, I
noticed in the Help! section that they had a
replacement shift knob for the 1984-90 Caprice/Impala,
which is chrome-plated plastic wth a black padded top
section.
    It's somewhat longer than the 1968-83 knob, and
more stylish, so I bought it hoping it would make my
PG lever a little easier to manipulate through the
ranges.
    Sure enough it makes shifting MUCh easier.  You
need to add some sort of filler in the new knob's hole
since the PG level is smaller.  I found a piece of
scrap plastic that worked perfectly without any
modification of the knob.  And, the knob looks stock!

Just a suggestion.  I think it's a great
improvement...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza 110 PG