<VV> wiper arm removal

Borrrris at aol.com Borrrris at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 22:33:02 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/27/2007 4:26:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffharsha at comcast.net writes:

I bought  new arms
blades and all from Clarks, along with a removal tool (sort  of like a
reverse plier???  I cannot see a way to accomplish  what I desire to
do without causing a great deal of  damage...Help!

Hi Jeff.  Yeah, I have that useless tool from Clark's  too.  I guess it would
work if there were enough room to slip it in place,  but on my '66 also= not
enen close to enough.
My local Corvair mechanic advised this technique, which worked out  fine.
Cut a piece of thin cardboard (like a cereal box) with a slot just  big
enough to slip around the wiper post between the wiper arm and the cowl to  protect
it.
Using a large screwdrier inserted as close to the post as possible,  twist
carefully at several points to sort of wiggle the arm up a bit at a time  for
the first 1/4 inch or so. (Doesn't hurt to get some WD-40 kind of stuff  up in
there ahead of time if you can.)
When it's free if the detent, wiggle it up the rest of the way by  hand.
Note: When reinstalling make sure you're holding the arm exactly in  the
position you want it to be "parked" in before pushing it all the way down to  the
detent on the post. I guessed wrong on one and had to remove again to  correct.
Good luck,
Matt from L.I. ('66 Monza coupe  110/pg)