<VV> Electric cooling fan results

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 16:50:34 EDT 2007

Ken Hand writes:
[SNIP]
"Specifically, the  second car - the 95 PG - was a borrowed car and  as I
drove
it I was mildly  surprised at how well it ran. I hadn’t ever  worked on this
car either!"
[SNIP]

Ken, no wonder it ran so well!! <GGGGGGG>   Just kidding,  Ken!  After that
trip you took me around that FAST autocross track a few  years ago, I'll attest
to the fact that your cars run exceedingly WELL.

{SNIP]

"Now  for  some observations; there was a lot of air reversion through
the  electric fan  when it was running statically. In comparison the stock
fan
had NO air reversion  through the fan.  Even with the electric  fan and the
air
doors  open, there was still air reversion back  through the fan. Not as much
mind you,  but there was still air  reversion."
[SNIP]

Ken, that just confirms that the electric fan doesn't put out  enough
PRESSURE to get the air flow through the Corvair engine.

[SNIP]
"The numbers we got were very close to
the 110 PG with about the  same  curve on temps. You will find the two
engines
very similar even  though they were  a 110 and a 95. I won’t cite numbers
because
that  will be in the graph from  Frank. One of the common misconceptions is
that the 110 is the worst of the two  engines for heat because of the
compression ratio. Well, I think we can put that  theory to  bed."
[SNIP}

Actually, since the 110 has higher compression ratio than the 95, it  should
be more efficient in converting gasoline energy into motive power.   That
means LESS energy is wasted as heat so the 110 should burn LESS fuel for  the same
road load and have a LOWER cooling requirement compared to the 95  hp engine.
 This assumes, of course, that everything else is equal (and it  never is.)
    But maybe we should consult the "Oracle" for the  "true facts" on this
matter. <GGG>
    But seriously, we have to extend a BIG vote of  thanks for all the
massive efforts you guys put forth in setting up, testing and  reporting these
results.
    Best regards,
    Frank "grateful"  Burkhard