[fastvair] Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results (long winded)

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Jul 30 07:06:49 EDT 2007

> First off, hats off to Bob, Ken and Frank for conducting this very well
> executed and instrumented test. What they did was as close to technically  perfect
> as anyone could get, an outstanding job. The presentation was also very
> good. I sat in on the presentation and kept fairly quiet, at least as quiet as I
> could. After giving this much thought during my long drive home (in a Corvair
> and still not there yet) today I have to offer some observations.

Thanks, I appreciate someone noting the technique and quality of the
numbers.

> OK back to the electric fan...How come the fan can work on other cars and
> appeared to not work on the test car? That could have to do with other things
> besides the fan. Does the car where the fan works have the head deflashed? Does
> it have a stock oil cooler or large external oil cooler? How about lower
> shrouds, are they installed? Ceramic coating or other heat treatment to the
> exhaust or other parts of the engine? All of these items can have a great effect
> on the overall cooling performance.
>
> With all that said, I think an electric fan could work, even the fan as
> tested. The design of the fan and the entire cooling system would be critical in
> determining the total efficiency and effectiveness. I know that a  replacement
> fan can be designed, built and installed on a Corvair engine that  would be
> better that the stock fan. Like so many other "go fast" items, it  basically
> comes down to one question. How much would you pay for the extra  HP?
> Ned

All above are excellent comments and in my closing during the talk at the
convention, I did say that although this setup did not work, you MIGHT be
able to get it to work good enough if:
 					1. deflash the heads VERY WELL
 					2. Use a giant ext oil cooler
 					3. Find a fan with a better flow
 					   vs back pressure curve
The point about the flat cover is excellent and a better design would
allow more of the air to cool and not revert.

PS: I noticed Bob Helt tried to post my graphs to fastvairs but I think
they got stripped. I am going to combine them to a zip file and can
foward to anyone who asks. Plus I think Ken H. may put on his site.

regards,

frank parker