<VV> Streaks on paint

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 18:47:36 EDT 2007

Need advice from all you paint and detailing experts out there.

  My daily driver has reasonably decent paint (including some newly painted areas) which still shines. But it streaks terribly when it rains. The worst streaks are where water runs off stainless trim (e.g. below the C-pillar rain gutter exit and running down the quarter panel) but there are also serious streaks out in the middle of nowhere (e.g. running from just above the ridgeline at the top of the front fender at mid-fender, and the forward several inches of the trunklid top).

  It does not wipe off easily. I have to use wax, or sometimes fine compound, to remove it.  I just finished doing that yesterday, and today (after a heavy overnight rain) it looks like I haven't washed it in 6 months.

  My wife's newfangled car is parked right beside it, and it probably hasn't been washed in a month, but it doesn't have any similar streaking.

  What causes this, and what can I do about it?

  Thanks!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on