<VV> Electric cooling fan results

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 30 22:35:00 EDT 2007

Now, Ned, you know me better than that.

Of course it's flow that matters.  (Actually, mass flow, not CFM - and
Reynolds Number).
Unless you have a much stronger wisher than I have, it takes pressure to
make air flow through the tiny openings in the Corvair head.  My choice of
the word "pressure" was intended to emphasize the fact that we're in the
realm of pressure blowers here, not volume blowers.  We have just seen the
results of a test of a design by a fellow that thinks CFM is all there is to
the problem.

I have serious doubts that the 911 fan, being single stage with no fixed
blades to help recover some pressure, can put out enough pressure to force
enough air through the heads to cool the Corvair unless it's run at such a
high rpm that we're back in the high hp problems we think we have now.  My
searching for a commercially available axial fan with published
specifications that indicate it might be suitable have been fruitless.  The
only alternative fans I've seen that might work are centrifugal blower
impellers that look remarkably like the LM fan - except the look like they'd
have a higher moment of inertia.

Roger