<VV> Electric cooling fan results - fan. etc

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 17:03:03 EDT 2007

Ron wrote:

>The mag fan was introduced because it's BETTER than the early fans.

Better only at keeping belts on -- the best fan in terms of air movement
was the 1960 (once upon a time the flow charts were posted online),  but
boy what a moment of inertia that one has (ps: it is nearly an identical
copy of a VW / Porsche fan of the same era).

In my book, the interest in an alternate cooling system is to remount
the alternator axially (so we can run a 100+ amp alternator) to power
all those accessories (maybe including electric fans) and lights that
weren't even considered back when they were originally designing
Corvairs -- I like 100 watt H-1 high beams (spotlighting deer & elk on
the hiways of eastern Oregon -- older guys just don't see as well at
night -- finally, I'm getting smarter, just can't see any better)!

I know, just run two idlers and an A/C pulley for the axial alt  -- it'd
save wear and tear on the balancer  (big chebbies don't run the drive
belt off the balancer ring) ...

And, in case anyone missed it -- at least one someone did -- this is
also Humor -- sorry it is not so obvious:  " .. maybe that early you are
picking on won it's class, in the autocross, time trials, and the
concours -- maybe ..."  [not on those scuffed up tires]

:-)

Bill S