<VV> Re: Porsche cooling

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Tue Jul 31 21:46:27 EDT 2007

It is unfortunate that Porsche has such a good reputation for cooling
because it isn't so much truth as belief. When I was 19 y.o. I owned a 72
911T which was the base model with iron cylinders. During a PCA sponsored
dinner out of town we convoyed by Interstate 55 to have dinner about 40
miles away. We all did 90-100 mph and my car began to seriously overheat
after about 20 miles.  It had the dry sump cooling system but not a remote
oil cooler.  Now, the engine had 90,000 miles on it at that time but the car
was not able for sustained high speed runs in stock condition.  Later when I
had the engine rebuilt ($6,800 in 1985) I had the recommended Porsche
aftermarket oil cooler installed in the right front fender and that seemed
to resolve the overheating problems at highway speeds.  The moral of the
story is that the 911 fan did not cool the engine enough to overcome high
load conditions. 911 flat sixes with iron cylinders do overheat unless there
is additional cooling. Many improvements in aluminum cylinder technology
such as nikasil plating were vital to exceeding 3.0 liters without
overheating.  There are a number of factors but the fan is not the
determinant. Yet, I'd think that  a 911 fan would cool my Corvairs o.k.
Crawford