<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 28, Issue 120

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Jun 1 08:19:57 EDT 2007

>  Anyway,  I do not want to offend anyone,  but back in the late sixties
> or early seventies,  none  of  'us' would have seriously considered a Vair,

That sounds like a left coaster. In Michigan where I went to school
Corvairs were popular (I had three then - Corsa convert, Fitch coupe, van)
and they really served all purposes from autocrossing to hauling.

They do have many things in common with VWs (or BSA motorcycles for that
matter - had a Lightning at the time) - vertically split cases for one and
gave English motorocycles the name "leaky twin" (later Triumphs solved the
problem by putting a sponge under the block).

 > Those VWdubber groups will welcome anything with wheels and the engine
outback  whether its 78% rusty primer or show material.  They aren't snooty
like some high dollar vehicle clubs.  Ya might be impressed by some of
their rides, and I'm certain that they will surely impressed by yours.<

Frankly, that was my biggest disappointment in coming back to Corvairs - at
many meetings, mine was the only one . Since to me a lot of the reason for
going was the stroll through the parking lot. Another loss was the months
between events and then many were static shows. Where are the rallys that
anyone with a driveable car could go on ?  There are weekly cruises but
generic ones.

I know, the times have changed and I could help correct if I had the time
but it was still largely a let-down.

Padgett