<VV> vacuum advance miracle

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 09:53:30 EDT 2007

Vacuum advance can have a several mpg effect on fuel mileage, but it's simultaneous influence on part-throttle response is usually overlooked or underestimated.

There are those who cry for "more advanced" timing, and give the distributor a slight twist.

I (and, by the sounds of it, your 110 engine) would prefer the "right" advance for a particular throttle setting, mixture, rpm, and temperature (when I can figure out what the heck it might be).

Then look at the kind of curve attainable with a basic mechanical centifugal advance curve - http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews/timing1.gif
Add 2 stage springs and we can put a kink in the basic curve.
http://members.aol.com/blue317/advance.jpg
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcc/sf/images/elect3.jpg

Here is an example of what an engine might REALLY like it's timing to be.   http://www.epicycle.com.au/images/map2.gif
It's not too tough to map out those 400 data points on the dyno and then make a look up table for the ignition computer to check every few milliseconds.
Look at the curve along the 100 (% load, full throttle) line and disregard everything above 6000 rpm.

Trying to simulate even that section of the 3D curve with mechanical advance's 1 or 2 straight line slopes means there are either going to be some over-advanced operation, or certain rpms that are significantly under-advanced.
--
Dan Timberlake