<VV> 64 vert on ebay (item#280121170177

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jun 5 15:48:08 EDT 2007

At 06:22 PM 6/4/2007, Tamias Metis wrote:
>Ebay item 280121170177  appears to be a nice  paint color  but the
>seller's BIN appears unreasonable for a rather ordinary 1964 automatic.

Indeed it does.    I seriously doubt anyone is gonna go for that BIN
figure unless they qualify as a member of the Lunatic Fringe.

>It it is likely that the owner is younger than the average Corvair
>demographic,

No doubt.    This car has too much bling and not enough substance IMHO.

...and that the Hell is a draft tube doing on a '64 Corvair with a
140 engine?

>   I believe the seller has probably miscalculated the 'added value'
> that a 'super audio'  set up  and beautiful paint  bring to an
> otherwise fairly ordinary '64 automatic Corvair.

...by a rather wide margin.   By my estimates, he wants about 13
grand for the stereo install.

>The car's owner does have  a neat  custom vanity license
>plate.   Bidding has reached 8K   without reaching the reserve
>,  it  has  a BIN of 18K.  Is this an idication that Vairs are
>finally rising in value as a younger demographic,

 From a hobbyist's viewpoint, I certainly hope not.    It will spell
the end of Corvairs as affordable landmark vintage cars.    It could
also cause a drop in CORSA membership as more and more people can no
longer afford to own a Corvair if their market value were to suddenly
take off...

You wouldn't see them on the roads much...  and even at shows most
would arrive in trailers.

>likely born nearly two decades after the last Vair was produced,  seek  cool
>  and stylish vintage  American rides,  that are not beyond their
> 'beer budgets'.

Not for much longer if such mindsets as our above-mentioned boomcar
enthusiast take over the Corvair markets...  believing that a '64
ragtop with a fancy stereo and a few engine mods is worth almost 20k.

Sure, for collectors and investors, it's great that Corvairs are
gaining in value.    For people who love the cars and like to enjoy
driving them and having fun with them, it's not that great...  and it
does nothing for expanding the hobby at all, imho.

tony..