<VV> 64 vert on ebay (item#280121170177

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Jun 5 19:02:20 EDT 2007

I'm reminded of the old axom, "You stay with a certain hobby (car) until
you can't afford it anymore, then you get out." It's as simple as that.
Rising prices are a double-edged sword, good for the haves but not good
for the have-nots.

Ideally, I would hope that Corvair values only "just" keep pace with the
cost of restoration. If they fail to keep pace, like Joel points out,
the marque will suffer long-range problems of a supply shortage of cars
and parts, while CORSA membership will also decline accordingly. If
values increase more than restoration costs, then speculators' greed
will end up stealing the hobby away from those who truely appreciate the
car, and again CORSA membership will decline.

The unfortunate part in all this is that we cannot control what happens
with the appreciation of Corvairs, would that we could. So the best
thing we can do is "stay in the hobby until we can't afford it anymore."
Then we'll have to get out....

I hope I can always afford it. May we all.....

-Mark

Tony Underwood wrote:

> >The car's owner does have  a neat  custom vanity license
> >plate.   Bidding has reached 8K   without reaching the reserve
> >,  it  has  a BIN of 18K.  Is this an idication that Vairs are
> >finally rising in value as a younger demographic,
>
>  From a hobbyist's viewpoint, I certainly hope not.    It will spell
> the end of Corvairs as affordable landmark vintage cars.    It could
> also cause a drop in CORSA membership as more and more people can no
> longer afford to own a Corvair if their market value were to suddenly
> take off...
>
> You wouldn't see them on the roads much...  and even at shows most
> would arrive in trailers.
>
> >likely born nearly two decades after the last Vair was produced,  seek  cool
> >  and stylish vintage  American rides,  that are not beyond their
> > 'beer budgets'.
>
> Not for much longer if such mindsets as our above-mentioned boomcar
> enthusiast take over the Corvair markets...  believing that a '64
> ragtop with a fancy stereo and a few engine mods is worth almost 20k.
>
> Sure, for collectors and investors, it's great that Corvairs are
> gaining in value.    For people who love the cars and like to enjoy
> driving them and having fun with them, it's not that great...  and it
> does nothing for expanding the hobby at all, imho.
>
> tony..

Just my .02, but I don't mind seeing the value of Corvairs go up a bit.
good restoration isn't cheap, and that's what is going to be required of
these cars if we hope to see them around for years to come.  People
buying
Corvairs because they're cheap and driving them into the ground knowing
there will be another cheap one around the corner does the hobby a long
term
dis-service.  The reality is, people DO look at "how much will this be
worth
if I ever decide to sell it" when doing a restoration.  And while there
are
very few cars out there that will let you get all your money back
invested
in a restoration

Regards,
Joel