<VV> You say olmogate-o - I say Olmogato - FIA legal papers

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 01:07:46 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/5/2007 5:29:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
deltainc at grm.net writes:

>  The actual phrase is "Gran Turismo Omologato"....It's Italian for
>  "Homologated Grand Touring"....
> Lonzo
***********
I always  thought of little 'vairs as feisty little guys .... although some
of the  late models were awful pretty ... but here we are jumping into
another long  thread about the 'vairs being "homo" oblong tomatoes  ....

In case anybody really wanted to know. The 1965 Corvair was Homologated by
the FIA (via ACCUS, the US representative for the FIA) for Sedan/Touring
racing.  Somewhere around here, I have a copy of all the documentation provided to
the  FIA from Chevy. And the FIA approval stamp! All the Corvair engines
(including Turbos) were included the the submittal. They specified optional  13"
wheels up to 8" wide. All the engine specs were there, including valve  sizes,
trans ratios, axle ratios. By the way both the 3.08 axle and the 4.11  axle
were called out. (the 3.08 was a not-too-distant memory in 1965, but the  4.11
wasn't even a glint in Chevy's eye at that time). You might still be able  to
get a copy of the specs from ACCUS - They are in the Denver area. Someone
should bring a copy of those papers to an SCCA event and try to run 8" wide  wheels
on a stock class Corvair. Since SCCA is a member of ACCUS, would  they allow
it? - Seth Emerson