<VV> Next generation of Corvair enthusiasts

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 7 08:16:02 EDT 2007

     I fully agree with Ray and the car my 18 year old son and I are building for him is an example.  It will have a "tweaked" 140 (we're just starting on the motor), not with chrome in the engine bay, but with the shroud and air cleaners powder coated a metallic green  (he hasn't yet decided on the color for the plug wires).  The upper and lower a-arms and the rear control arms are also powder coated the same color.  The car is a 65 monza coupe that is metallic blue.  It's got 2" lowering springs in the front and will have 1" lowering springs in the rear.  We've moved the battery to the trunk and it won't have a spare tire --- just an air pump a la the BMW M-Cars.  He hasn't yet decided on the after-market wheels, but Torque Thrust Classics seem to be the front runners (maybe with the centers painted black, in 16" or 17" diameters.  Probable 205's in the front and hopefully 245's in the rear.  It's got aftermarket sport seats and "racing" harnesses, and of course a decent stereo with a sub woofer.   The intent is to put all the "rice burners" in the high school parking lot to shame, and it should do just that when it's finished in about 2 months.  No questions that young folks can and will be attracted to the car, even though it won't win a lot of "stoplight grand prixs".

                        Travis Payne    65 Monza coupe
                         Raleigh, NC