<VV> Re: The Next Generation

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Thu Jun 7 11:31:32 EDT 2007

I want to echo Jay's thoughts about the Corvair being a driver's car.
First, just so as not to sound like a complete novice, let me say that my
experience with the Corvair goes back to mid to late sixties.  My sister
managed to date two guys in succession, both of whom owned earlies.  She
married the second and his was by far the coolest.  He had shaved the heads,
split the exhaust and for all I know, had a modified cam.  Anyway, it was
loud and plenty quick.  Hence, it is fitting that my first car in the summer
of 69 should be a 64 Monza coupe.  It was white with red trim, a 95hp/4speed
with A/C.  At the same time, my dad purchased a 61 Rampside.  And finally,
my auto mechanics instructor in the school year 69-70 was one of the
original Corvair nuts.  In a twist of fate, he ended up in the hospital,
years later rooming with my dad as both were awaiting surgery.  When he
realized who my dad was, he inquired about the Rampside.  He was heart
broken to hear we had sold it.

Now fast forward to the not too distant past.  About 6 years ago I got
interested in Corvairs again.  I began to scrounge EBay and found some not
too far away in Louisville and southern Indiana.  I managed to talk myself
out of buying one and thought that was over until the CORSA convention came
to Lexington in 2004.  I was hopelessly sucked back in forever.

When people ask me why I like the car so much I simply say, "It's fun."  The
car is really a car that is meant to be driven.  I drive it every
opportunity I have.  Many folks in the area have the "historic tags."  They
cost $5.00 one time and last forever.  However you are only supposed to
drive the car to club activities and shows.  I just renewed my standard
issue plate for $21.00.  I'll pay $21.00 a year for the pleasure of driving
the car any time I want.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
66 Monza 140/4speed