<VV> the "next generation" of Corvair enthusiasts

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jun 7 16:31:58 EDT 2007

At 12:02 PM 6/6/2007, Ray Rodriguez wrote:

>      My generation, and as near as I can tell the next younger
> generation, (I know quite a few younger kids) thinks that the
> "muscle cars" of the 60's and early 70's are some of the coolest
> cars on the road.  We were not around when these cars were new and
> plentiful, but they've become legends of a sort.  Kid's like fast
> cars, not classy cars or pretty cars... muscle cars are the epitome
> of fast cars... even if they weren't really that quick in reality
> compared to todays fast cars.

Careful now...  don't let the lousy tire tech of the '60s lead you
into believing that '60s vintage performance cars weren't at least as
fast as the best that today can offer.    I still recall how the
Mopar Maxwedge cars had problems turning low 14s in street trim,
spinning tires 100 ft off the line.

Put slicks on them and they turned low 12s/high 11s.    Same way with
the Hemi cars...  dogs in street trim, but tool them up for strip
work with some decent rubber so they can get the power to the
pavement and all was well with the world.

Place those '60s vintage muscle cars beside today's neomuscle, with
the same advantages today's cars enjoy (tire tech etc) and see which
is quicker...   I know a fellow who had a stone stock Dodge
Challenger R/T, show car, "certified stock" by the judges at various
shows...  it turned 12:10 at 114 mph with modern sticky tires, in
street trim, *through the mufflers*.   There's no way in the world
that car could have done so with the 6 inch wide bias ply tires it
came with in 1970.

Hell, when the "wide oval" letter-branded 70 and 60 series tires
started showing up on new cars, even a '71 Duster with a stock 340
engine could turn 13s if you rode the clutch to get it to
hook.     Even though they were specialty bias ply performance tires
and much better than what had been offered before... they were still
considerably less effective than the tires you can walk into Wal-Mart
and buy off the rack today.

An example of performance "bang for the buck" off the dealer floor
was the '68 Roadrunner an old buddy bought new, blue, black interior,
Torqueflite automatic, 383 Super-Commando engine (335hp) and the
obligatory L-60 tires on back to get it to hook.    He paid less than
2900 bucks for the car, from Fulton Motors here in Roanoke.

It turned a quarter-mile in the high 13s with wheelspin at New London
dragstrip... and on one occasion to shut up a Mustang owner who
thought his GT was quick, he took the pony pilot for a ride down
I-81's straight stretch between Roanoke and Cloverdale at over 150
mph just to show Mr Mustang that the "Chicken" could do it.

Hard to beat a car that will do all that for less than 3000 bucks and
still be docile enough to drive to and from anywhere.

The 1960s were INDEED the Golden Age of performance cars.     And,
they were the era when you could buy a nicely equipped Corvair for
less than that Roadrunner.

tony..