<VV> Re: The Next Generation, Corvairs & driving them

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 7 14:07:41 EDT 2007

I am a second generation Corvair owner (my dad bought a `61 Monza in
about `62 or `63 which he traded on a new `66 4-door which I still have)
who is raising a 3rd generation Corvair owner. The first car I drove
regularly was the `66 when I got my license in `71. The first car I
owned was a `65 Monza (which I wish I still had) and the first car I
bought with my own money was a `68 Monza 140/4 with posi and quick
steering. Many of you have seen this one (maroon) at numerous CORSA
conventions including towing it from St. Louis to Ontario, CA. I have
won the CORSA autocross at every convention I attended except Syracuse
(Seth in a borrowed car) and KC (Bert Swift). The only reason I trailer
my car to conventions is so that I can easily take the whole family and
still be secure in the knowledge that if I break something going all out
(only way I know to do it) we will still get home or maybe help someone
else get home (Robert, Tim ;-)).

My oldest went to his first convention when he was 2 months old (Grand
Rapids). Just before he turned 16 he bought with his own money, a `66
500 95/auto (lots of rust) from one of our elder club members. This kept
him in transportation for the next 4 years. Last summer he bought a `65
Corsa from another of our club members and spent the next 6 months
getting it ready to drive (College student with almost no money). At 2
of the 3 conventions he attended with me since turning 16 he ran the
autocross and placed in the top 5. He is working on a Mechanical
Engineering degree so working on his own Corvair is good experience.
Just this week he put together a posi for his car from parts I had in
the basement with only a little supervision from me.

Mike Kost
SMCC & CORSA since 1980