<VV> the "next generation" of Corvair enthusiasts

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 8 20:09:07 EDT 2007

I have to agree with MikeH's comment on not speaking for all kids.  You not
only can't tell what a kid is going to like in the way of a car, but you
also may be surprised what they may decide on when they get older.  In their
teens though their 20's and even longer for some of us, our likes in cars
can change overnight, depending on what new thing you may have seen and just
have to have.

In 1990, my son was 17 and wanted a car.  His friends were driving anything
from a new V8 T bird, newer BMW's, Cameros/Firebirds/Mustangs and pickup
trucks, but he wanted a 73 VW Bug.  From the time he was little he liked VW
Bugs.  You could take him to the toy store and show him all these other nice
cars and big firetrucks and he picks out a Bug everytime.  I have no idea
where he got this love of Bugs, we never owned one.  He bought this nice,
original 73 Bug and proceeded to turn it into a junker in 4 years.  The back
seat was one huge speaker, the vibration from it would cause his battery to
go bad within a month.  He spent $1100 for a highly modified motor and
within a week of installing it, it was ruined, due to the carbs he had on it
leaking gas into the oil and seizing the engine, but he learned things as he
went.  From there he bought a souped up Mustang convertible, which I warned
him about buying.  I told him that unless you know the former owner and what
he has done in the way of modifications, you're asking for trouble.  It
didn't take long to figure that out and he got something else.  I can't
remember all the cars he's had, but at that point, car stereo was more
important than anything else during that phase.  At some point he came back
to VW Golfs and Jettas.

He's now 35 years old and he and his wife still have VW's, even though he's
a Nissan salesmen.  He has a new 2007 Jetta GLI and his wife has a couple
year old Passat Wagon.  He has past beyond the stereo stage and is content
with the systems that now come with the cars.  His one project, that he is
doing out of shame for how he treated his first Bug, is doing a full tear
down and rebuild of a '56 ragtop VW.

Kids are still the same.  Some want something different, be it a Corvair, an
old VW or whatever.  They will do things to that car, we wouldn't approve
of, but they too age, their tastes change, and they may later in life decide
to get an old car like they had  for their first car and by then because
their outlook on things have changed as the have aged, they may decide it
would be nice to have an old Corvair or whatever like they had, but this
time restore it to stock.  I know I would love to have my 1958 Colonial
Cream (YELLOW) Impala, that I nosed and decked and painted a dark teal
green.  I beat the crap out of that car, but of the 33 cars I have owned
it's the one I wish I still had.  Too bad they are out of the range of my
pocket book, however it would be restored to the way it was, rather than
what I did to it.  BTW it only had a 6 cylinder and a 3 speed.  It was the
only one I ever saw with a six, but it was still a babe magnet, more so when
it was yellow than green.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member