<VV> Corvairs on Fire (was: today's newb question)

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sat Jun 9 18:32:31 EDT 2007

At 06:10 PM 6/9/2007, Melissa Layman wrote:

>One of my favorite doctors at work thinks my car is great, but is
>worried.  Apparently he remembers the Corvair as a car that caught on fire.

This question is timed nicely with Ray's post about the dumb things
people say about Corvairs.

Without any statistical information with which to support me, I'd say
that the Corvair's propensity to self-combust is just about the same
as that of the general automobile population, especially that of cars
the same vintage as Corvairs.  As a Corvair enthusiast since October
of 1959, I have not become aware of any undue number of them burning.

They do burn, of course.  There was a dramatic Communique cover photo
some years back, and over the years I've heard of a few others going
up in flames.  But not in any numbers that would make the car stand
out as "a car that caught on fire."

But, this does present an opportunity for me to tell my favorite
car-fire story.  It took place at a race track, in the 1960s.  My
father and a friend observed one competitor wrapping a fuel line with
white cloth medical adhesive tape.  Y'know, the ubiquitous tape found
in everyone's medicine cabinet back then and used to repair the
eyeglasses of the nerdy kids.  Anyway, my father and his friend said
nothing to each other, just rolled their eyes and shook their heads
in wonder, and moved on.

Sure enough, during the race, the guy's race car burst into
flames.  He stopped the car and bailed out, and the fire crew blasted
it, and the driver's sneaker-clad feet, with their
extinguishers.  Seeing an opportunity for a safety lesson, following
the race the driver was asked by my father's friend, "Well, Phil, did
you learn anything today?"

"Yes," replied Phil.  "Next time I gotta use more tape."

--Bob