<VV> And today's newb question is.......

George Jones georgedjones at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 06:29:24 EDT 2007

Melissa,

I'm going to agree with Ron on this one. Confused doctor.

To answer your question though, probably the biggest (original) leak area on
the Corvair is the push rod tubes. The resolution is to install Viton
O-rings.

The biggest reason that I can think of for a Corvair to catch fire, is due
to owner neglect/inexperience. Using any glass (or plastic) fuel filter in
the engine bay has lead to a Corvair fire or two. Also, neglecting the
replacement of rubber hoses in fuel lines can cause spontaneous combustion
of the Corvair as well. There is a section of rubber hose over the drivers
rear axle that, if deteriorated and leaking, can drip or be sprayed on the
exhaust system. Not a good scenario. Also, the fuel filler neck has a rubber
hose(s) connecting it to the gas tank. If it hasn't been replaced yet, it
should be. A sure sign that this hose has deteriorated is the smell of
gasoline right after you filled the car, and when going around right turns.
There is another rubber connector hose connecting the fuel tank with the
fuel line, and it is located just aft of the front cross member, just right
of center. Have them all checked just to be on the safe side.

As far as Clark's orders to Canada, I have no first hand knowledge, but I
supect any delay would likely be with customs.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

--
George Jones