<VV> Fires, etc.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 10:41:23 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/9/2007 3:11:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
melissa_layman at hotmail.com writes:

One of  my favorite doctors at work thinks my car is great, but is  worried.

Apparently he remembers the Corvair as a car that caught on  fire.  I assume
it was because of the hotter engine/oil leak  issue.  What were the most
common areas that the engine leaked  from?  What does one need to do to
update it?  Does anyone know  the statistics on these supposed fires?
Your Doctor is confusing it with the Pinto. The Pinto rear axle can
penetrate the gas tank in a rear end collision, causing a fire (in some cases).  Ford
confessed at a trial that they knew about it and had done an  engineering
cost-benefit analysis concluding that it was cheaper to  let a few folks burn to
death and pay damages than to retrofit all of the cars.  Lots of bad press. But
not Corvair bad press.

Thanks again

Mel.
'63 Monza Spyder
(my son thinks  we should call her "White Lightening")

"White Lightening" is what happens when salt creates rust, causing parts of
the car to fall off, lightening the car.  - Seth