<VV> the crazy things people say about Vairs'

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jun 11 19:50:29 EDT 2007

At 05:41 AM 6/10/2007, Rick Norris wrote:

>One of my favorite things to do at a show is to walk away some
>distance then when a crowd has gathered at the car (usually my V8
>Vair) I walk up like a spectator and listen to the comments.

Once, some years ago at a NC Fall Corvair show when they were still
having it at Modern Chevrolet in Winston-Salem, I "loaned" my '60
4-door to one of my brothers who wanted to go to the show  but didn't
wanna get up as early as I did.     I went in my '65 Corsa ragtop.

After I got there, bro showed up and parked the '60 4-door (in all
its glory) around beside the dealership,  about 20 feet (two parking
spaces) from where my ragtop was parked.    During the course of
events, I picked up some kewl stuff from the outside vendors and was
busy stuffing my loot into the ragtop trunk when I spotted a small
group of people standing around the '60 4-door mumbling...  I shut
the trunk of the ragtop, they glanced in my direction and then went
back to mumbling... I *had* to walk over and casually pass by as if
on the way back to the show proper, and overheard a couple of the
guys saying:

"This has to be the worst looking Corvair here."

"Hell, it's the worst looking Corvair I ever saw at any show."

"What a piece of shit!"

I didn't say anything, I just walked on by, snickering...   and these
were CORVAIR people wearing show nametags.

I halfway expected the '60 to puke some oil on their shoes just for
good measure.

tony..

PS:     ...I'd assume that none of you fine folks in here might have
been in that little bunch... would ya...?