<VV> LM Sticking Clutch

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:02:50 EDT 2007

I have 2 65's, one coupe and one convertible.  I do my own engine R&R.  The
clutch works as expected in the coupe.  With the convertible however, I've
had "issues" with since it's last R&R about 2 years ago.  We took it off the
road 8 months ago due to rising insurance costs so I haven't worried about
it.  I recently put it back on the road and it's got the same problem it
always did.

These are the only two Corvairs I've driven for any time so I don't have
much to compare.

Symptoms: it holds onto the gear after the clutch is depressed, every gear.
Going from 1st to 2nd, you depress the clutch and let off the gas.  The
front end dips, engine speed decreases but you tell the clutch is still
engaged.  It stays for up to a couple of seconds, then releases the clutch,
and the front end rises again.  It's just like I'm engine braking.

I shortened the clutch linkage so the clutch grabs way at the top of the
travel, within an inch or so.  Although this helps it's not "right" as
compared to the coupe.  I do not remember this happening before the last R&R
for a leaky seal when purchased.  During R&R I replaced the pilot bushing
and probably the clutch.  Prior owner installed a solid flywheel.  That's
the only difference I know.  One additional symptom: When Seth described
practicing shifting without a clutch I thought I'd try that to see if the
symptoms changed.  It shifts quite well w/o the clutch...actually better w/o
right now.  LOL

Would leaving the pilot bushing sticking out too far cause this?  How far?
Wouldn't it wear down over time?  I can think of no other causes.  What
else, oh great vast Corvair knowledge land?

Barry in SC
2 lates, like the vert in the summer except for the hot black seats, 2
earlies hopefully out of the garages by late summer.