<VV> Replacing Front Crank Seal

Steve Brennan alohaz at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 14 11:26:26 EDT 2007

Are there any tricks to removing and replacing the front crank (bell housing) seal?  I am replacing the fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate in my Spyder, and have the replacement seal, but can't find any info in the books on how to remove/install the seal.  Clarks catalog seems to say that the bell housing/block gasket needs to be replaced at the same time, which would indicate I need to separate them.  Is this true?  I was not planning on doing this, based in part on recent postings saying it was not necessary.

Thanks
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe