Fw: <VV> Little Corvair- Compressors again

John Beck jb30343 at navix.net
Fri Jun 15 18:25:39 EDT 2007

Here's a longer version.  There are more than a few people in that part
of Nebraska who like being 'off the grid' in more ways than just
electricity:-)  We were driving around looking for a windmill to shoot
for a film I'm working on.  We drove by this guy's place and I saw at
least four windmills sticking up behind the house.  None of them were
what I wanted but I guessed that anyone with 4+ windmills probably knew
where there were others. I was right.  He gave me directions to two that
fit my needs.  I also got to hear part of his story.

The air compressor windmill was not operating when I was there.  If my
guess on the tank size was right, it would hold about 1000 cubic feet.
The compressor looked like it was built from a hydraulic cylinder.
Probably not super efficient but I would guess that the windmill would
make several horsepower (total guess) in a good breeze. If the
compressor put out 1 CFM at something like 100 PSI, the tank would fill
to 100 PSI in less than a day.  All a wild guess on my part.

As Frank points out, a wind powered generator would be of more value so
it's no surprise that our windmill collector friend had one.  It was a
DC unit built in the 1940's; 36 volts at something like 30 amps.  He
uses it to charge the batteries that run the lights in his house.  He
said that he is currently (pun intended) building a house on his
property that will be totally off the grid, powered by a combination of
wind and solar.  They guy had a big arc welder in his shed.  I didn't
ask him how he powered it.  It was an interesting way to spend a few
minutes.  --J.B. (can out digress Frank)