<VV> Corvette Arises (No Corvair)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jun 16 14:35:10 EDT 2007

Well, as I always say, statistics lie better than a rug...

If $3253 in 1954 dollars is the same as $25,147 in todays dollars, then
applying same ratios for major purchases:

1. I want to buy a house around here for $50,000.  Average house is now
around $275,000.

2. I want to buy a new Corvette for $25,147. Base MSRP is $45k, up to $75k.

3. I want to buy a typical full sized new Chevy for $15,000. Here is the
closest, MSRP of Impala is $22k to $28k.

You will be hard pressed to do any of those things. So much for your
inflation calculator having any real meaning. You must have read my
favorite book, "How To Lie With Statistics"!

So, it still took about an average person's (back then think "family
income") anual salary to buy a Vette. For most of us, that is a LOT of
money!

Frank DuVal