<VV> From clutch to worse.. (1964 Sydper Turbo) last problem..!?

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Sat Jun 16 21:02:33 EDT 2007

Hello again!

Ok all issues resolved except for one!

B/4 I ask about that, you might find the overheating issue interesting..
or not ;p) The gauge was going up to 600 degrees in less than 1/2 mile!
Engine didn't seem all that hot, doors not even open yet. Well it wasn't
overheating, the gauge died!  would never have given that a thought
until I looked closely at it this morning and, with the sensor AND
battery disconnected the gauge still read 300 degrees.  Probably not a
good thing since the car hadn't even been driven yet.  At that point I
gave it a good tap and it went down to under 200.  Hmmm,  drove the car,
and all was ok for a while then up it went again, all the way to 600.
Tapped it and it went back under 350 where it usually lives.

Ok, the last problem. The starter, which I mentioned b/4 has a newly
installed solenoid, is flaky and in fact will no longer start the car.
It makes a rather awful grinding sound as if it is hitting the ring
gear, but not engaging. Since I have a new/rebuilt pressure plate, I am
concerned that there may be an issue with that rather than the starter.
The solenoid was replaced during the clutch replacement, but the stater
worked ok b./4 except for the somewhat famous click, click, click from
time to time. So, what should I be looking for, or should I just pop for
the new/rebuilt starter and cross my fingers??? I have already removed
and reinstalled the starter being very careful to make sure it's not in
there crooked.

FWIW, the solenoid was made in China. Don't we make anything here
anymore.....?

Kerry, Spyder 1964, convert, off the jacks...