<VV> 1966 Corvair Turbo For Sale (in IL)

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 16:44:54 EDT 2007

I have posted this car for sale on Corvair Center, Ebay, and Corsa
Classifieds with the following ad.  If you know anoone who is interested
in picking up a car they can drive right now, here is the one.....

See more pictures at.....

http://www.putfile.com/ral1963/images/93498

The car started out as a 58,000 mile,rust free blue 66 110 PG w/ AC
Monza coupe. A father and son, who lived in Ohio, worked on restoring
the car, which was to be a car for the son. A 1965 Turbo Corsa donated
it's Corsa interior, the 180 turbo engine, 1965 4-speed trans, and 1965
3:89 open diff to the 66 AC Monza. The car has an AMC steering wheel
with a custom Corsa horn button. The car was in the process of having
cruise control installed and was wired through a cruise control enabled
turn signal lever at the steering column but not finished in the engine
compartment, a NOS aftermarket cruise control unit will go with the car.
The car was worked on in the early 80's and finished in 1982. It
received a very nice restoration which included a freshly rebuilt turbo
motor and a 1980-82 Chevrolet Charcoal Gray Metallic paint job. The
metallic paint was used to black out the front trim bar, the headlight
bezels, and the drip rail trim. Individual stone guards were put over
the headlights. The Corsa dash Odo was turned to zero at the time of
restoration. The AC set-up that was in the 66 originally was plugged at
the hoses for the condenser connections as the stock condenser could not
be used due to the turbo install. A rear fender or front trunk mounted
condenser was planned but never completed. Once the car was basically
done but not yet 100% complete the son decided that he was not
interested in the Corvair anymore and decided to purse other interests.
The car was basically preserved 19 years, up until 2001 at which point
it was sold to the previous owner with 26 miles since the restoration
was complete. In the recent years of ownership the PO had clocked the
Odo up to 5500 miles. During that time he made some specific
modifications to the car, upgrading it to a more personal level. Some of
the modifications that were done are.

Switched over to Mobil one synthetic oil from regular dino-juice
Swapped stock YH carb and air cleaner for Leveque progressive Weber
set-up.
Swapped stock AM radio to AM/FM radio
Cut one coil off front springs left rear springs factory stock for AC
car
Added Clark's front disc brakes and stainless steel brake hoses
Added cup holder to floor between seats
Removed stock rims and tires
Upgraded to 14" BBS rims and Michelin Pilot tires
Replaced the scratched original windshield with a clear one
Replaced window fuzzies with repo fuzzies
Added dual convex racing mirrors
Added Flamethrower coil
Replaced stock plug wires with Seth's wires
Refurbished kick panel door flappers with rebuild kit
Rebuilt starter

During the PO's ownership as well as mine, we observed a few personal
quirks about the car. Some of these are that there is a minor water leak
that drips on the passenger side floorboard, presumably from the fresh
air cowl seam. Periodically the starter will spin up but not engage. It
normally responds after a repeat attempt. After driving there is minor
seepage of oil visible on the shrouding below the fill tube and some
minor dripping from the lower shrouds during extended storage intervals.
Also and the most annoying issue is if you try and put gas in the car
with any type of significant flow the gas backs up the filler hose and
sprays out backwards. In order to fill the tank you have to stand there
and hold the gas pump so the gas flows down into the tank.

My contributions to the car during my ownership...

Add space saver spare to trunk- Done
Add door edge guards - Done
Fix the gas tank fill issue - Done
Install a LeVeque water injection set-up -Done
Install O2 sensor - Done
Add a SafeGuard Ignition system - Done
Add O2 and knock sensor gauge - Done
Install Halogen Headlights - Done
Fix tear in drivers bottom seat - Done
Add seat belt retractors -Done
Complete Cruise control set-up - Purchased/not installed
Install AC condenser - Not done

I have also added a few chrome dress up items in the engine bay as well
as a different console between the seats for a little storage and better
cup holder.

The car currently has around 7,800 total miles on it from my ownership,
driven on nice days and to car shows.  I have been caught in a few
summer showers but otherwise the car doesn't see anything but sunshine
or my garage.

I have owned 15+ Corvairs over the last 20 years and this is the
tightest feeling, best handling, smoothest running Vair I have ever
driven.  If you wish to change some of the custom touches back I am also
including the original dash, original radio, non-painted headlight
bezels, trim bar, and other parts that were kept with the car.

Since this car is not new, here are the issues that you need to know.
As seen in the pictures there are two significant paint issues that will
need touched up otherwise the paint is overall good to excellent
condition (but not 100 pt concours condition) the other is that
eventually the clutch will need beefed up as under full boost it slips
periodically.  Under normal driving and low boost it operates fine but
under full boost when shifting it doesn't have enough spring pressure or
grab and slips it grabs fine after letting up on gas.  I also lost my
air fuel reading on the O2 sensor, not sure if the sensor went bad or
what, but it will need looked at to get working.

$10,000 obo...

Rick Loving
60 mile south of Chicago IL...